A possible reason for getting this error is if the email address being used on the donation has incorrect characters in the email address, or is not valid (missing .com). For example firstname.lastname@example.org. The ampersand and the period at the end of the address are not recognizable by BBMS, thus the merchant account will reject the transaction.
Note the example above is just one possible scenario. This can occur with any fields that include unusual characters in the submission (phone numbers, email, name). Small set of invalid symbol examples: %,$,&.
Contact Luminate Online support if your transaction does not seem to be impacted by the issue above and it can be investigated.
Note: If all transactions are encountering this error after a recent password reset then you may need to refresh the credentials:
- Log into the BBMS Web Portal
- Click Account Management > General Settings
- Locate Account Configurations
- Click the ellipses button (...) to the left of the Blackbaud Merchant Services account
- Select Edit
- Make no changes and click Save
- Repeat for any additional account configurations