This article summarizes the way phone information changes during the upgrade. More information can be found in our 7.95 Webinar and other 7.95 Resources. The phone structure when upgrading 7.93 > 7.96 is the same as 7.93 > 7.95.
In 7.93 and below, phone numbers:
- Are stored as part of an address record.
- Can be shared between different records
- Can be stored on Relationship records of any type (still as part of an address)
- Display on the Bio 1 tab of a constituent only if they’re stored on the Preferred Address
In 7.95 and above, the structure of phone numbers has changed:
- No longer stored on an address record: Stored directly on the Bio 1/Org 1 tab or Relationship record
- Can no longer be shared between constituents
- No longer stored on relationship records between the same type of constituent (Organization / Organization or Individual / Individual)
The phone information moves in a few different ways during the upgrade:
- Phone numbers from the Preferred Address move directly to the Bio 1 tab. See What is the difference between preferred address, primary business, and address processing?
- Note: This is based on the Address Indicator of Preferred. Address Type doesn’t affect how numbers move.
- Phone numbers from Alternate Addresses move to the Bio 1 tab and are marked Inactive.
- For relationships between constituents of the same type (Individual/Organization): Phones from the relationships TO a constituent will be moved to that constituent’s Bio 1/Org 1 tab and marked Inactive. For example, phones on Christopher Young’s relationship to Robert Hernandez will move to Robert Hernandez’s Bio 1 tab and become Inactive.
Robert Hernandez's Phones in 7.96
Christopher T. Young's Phones in 7.96
- Contact information on Individual/Organization relationships and non-constituent relationships is NOT copied to the Bio 1 or Org 1 tab. It remains on the relationship during the upgrade.
- Any phones that would end up with the same Phone Type, Phone Number, and DNC status on the same record are deduplicated during the upgrade.
- Note: The exception to this rule is for Individual/Organization Relationships, where the relationship record will show any number on the Bio 1 tab, as well as numbers on the relationship itself. This means that if an organization had the same phone number on its Preferred Address as on a relationship, that number will show once for each.
Individual / Organization Relationship in 7.96:
- Individual/Organization relationships will gain a Source Record column which shows the record that a phone number is coming from. See What is the Source Record on relationship records in the Raiser's Edge 7.95? (includes video demo)
- All phones gain a Comments field, which is automatically populated with the source of a phone number if it came from a relationship or Alternate Address. See What does the information in the Comments field mean after upgrading to the Raiser's Edge 7.95? (includes video demo)
- Note: This only occurs if upgrading from 7.93 > 7.96/7.95. If upgrading from 7.94, this field is left blank.
If a number came from more than one address, each address will be listed in the Comments field.
If a phone number came from more than one relationship, the relationships will be summarized in the Comments.