It would be best if no other users are logged into FIMS at the time of changing this system setting to be sure that no transactions were entered into FIMS and not posted to GL inadvertently.
To turn off GL posting temporarily, do the following:
1. Make sure all other users are logged out of FIMS
2. Go to Tools\System Utilities\System Initial Setup\Posting
3. On the bottom left in the section labeled 'G/L System Controls' there are four checkboxes that pertain to different GL functions.
- Uncheck all four check boxes, or for example, if you are just posting a gift then just uncheck the first two G/L Active and Post Gifts to G/L since gifts do not go through AP.
- If you are posting a grant then uncheck G/L Active and Post A/P to G/L since grants do go through AP.
- For a pledge, then uncheck G/L Active and Post Pledges to G/L since Pledges will not go through AP.
- If you are unsure, un-check all 4 boxes
5. Post the gift, pledge, grant or other transaction you wish to post without actually being posted to GL. You will note that the Gift, Grant or Pledge will move to historical, but will not actually be present in the GL upon checking.
6. IMPORTANT: Go back to Go to Tools\System Utilities\System Initial Setup\Posting and recheck all four of the G/L System Controls check boxes.
7. Verify that all transactions and GL are correct
8. After verifying that the system settings are turned back on and everything is correct, then the users can log back into FIMS.