Following are instructions to configure The Raiser's Edge to interface with The Financial Edge. In order to utilize the Direct Post Facility, both The Raiser's Edge and The Financial Edge must be installed on the same workstation.
If Blackbaud hosts your data, please refer to How to set up Raiser's Edge and Financial Edge integration when Blackbaud hosts your data.
- Set up The Raiser's Edge 7 Configuration:
Note:The Financial Edge SQL Server version installs a Blackbaud Management Console with MSDE for either the Network or Standalone installations.
- Log in as a local administrator to the workstation. This is required to create the necessary connection information on this workstation.
- Click Configuration, General Ledger.
- Mark the Blackbaud General Ledger present checkbox.
- Select SQL Server from the Database type drop-down menu.
- Enter the Server name running The Financial Edge database (How to find the server name)
- Enter the Financial Edge Database name, as listed in the Blackbaud Management Console. (How to find the database name)
- Mark the Validate GL information checkbox.
Note: Marking this option allows account lookups within the fund record's GL Distributions tab and ensures that the post file will be a valid import file for the General Ledger's Journal Entry module.
- Click Establish connections and enable options.
- If successful, a confirmation screen appears. If not, verify that the information entered is correct and try again.
- Define the Accountability Options and Expense Tracking Options, as appropriate for your organization.
- Define the journal reference (see step II).
- Exit and sign out. This refreshes the database with the new information. Note: If you exit without signing out, the database will not be properly updated and you may not be able to connect to The Financial Edge database.
Define the journal reference to be used when posting to General Ledger:
- Click Configuration, General Ledger.
- Use one of the following two options:
- Click Reset to System Defaults. This option automatically populates the Journal Reference fields with default values. These can be manipulated if needed, but it is a good starting point if you are unfamiliar with what the journal references should be.
- Populate the field manually by selecting the appropriate values from the Reference Field Name drop-down list and entering a number in the Length column. The length is the number of characters that the field will use when posting.
For example: Select Last/Org Name for the Reference Field Name with a Length of 14. If the Organization's name is longer than 14 characters it will be truncated to 14 in the post file's journal entry reference. Note: To place a space between fields, select the <Space> value located at the bottom of the drop-down list.
- Enter the General Ledger account numbers on fund records:
For more information on which account numbers to use refer to What debit and credit accounts are used for funds when posting to the General Ledger?.
- Click Records, Funds.
- Open the appropriate fund.
- Select the GL Distributions tab.
- Enter the appropriate GL account numbers:
- Place the cursor in the Debit Account Number OR Credit Account Number field.
- Press F7 to open the General Ledger account search screen, select the appropriate account, and click Open.
Enter the account numbers manually. If the account number is entered incorrectly or does not exist in the General Ledger, a prompt appears that says to enter a valid General Ledger for Windows account number.
- If you enter a Debit Account Number, you must also enter a Credit Account Number, and vice-versa.
- If new accounts are missing from the look-up, run the Update Accounts plug-in in General Ledger 7 first.
- Add account numbers for each gift type that is used in The Raiser's Edge database along with projects and interfund entries when appropriate.
- Save and Close the fund record.
- Repeat these steps for each fund record currently used.
- Run a Fund Profile Report:
- Click Reports; Profiles, Lists, and Directories.
- Run a Fund Profile Report to verify the entered information is correct for each fund record.
Note: For additional information on The Raiser's Edge and General Ledger interface, refer to How to interface The Raiser's Edge with General Ledger.