Try each of the following steps in the order listed below until the issue is resolved:
- Verify that the SQL Server service is running on the database server and verify that the database is online. Attempt to login at the server.
- Check to see if the Windows firewall is enabled on the database server. If enabled, then verify that the port number that SQL Server is using is opened in the firewall. See How to find the port being used by SQL Server to determine the port number and protocols being used by SQL Server, and then configure your firewall to work with SQL Server. NOTE: Please contact the appropriate firewall software vendor or IT professional for assistance with making exceptions in your firewall as it is beyond Blackbaud's scope of support.
- If using a dynamic port for SQL Server, then verify that the SQL Server Browser service is started on the database server. For information on how to configure SQL Server to listen on a specific (static) port or dynamic port, see How to configure an instance of SQL Server to listen on a specific TCP port or dynamic port. For SQL Server Best Practices in this regard, see Page 6 of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Security Best Practices.
- Enable the "Named Pipes" and "TCP/IP" protocols for your SQL Server instance. For more information on the required SQL Server protocols that need to be enabled for use with Blackbaud products please visit Knowledgebase article 39758.
- For additional troubleshooting steps, refer to How to troubleshoot login issues.
Note: We provide links to third-party websites in an effort to help you resolve your issue. We are not responsible for the information on third-party websites, and we cannot assist with implementing resolutions from these websites.
If you are receiving this error after disabling TLS 1.0 please note Blackbaud Support cannot advise whether TLS 1.0 should be disabled, nor can we assist with installing ODBC drivers, Microsoft updates, or disabling TLS 1.0.
Please refer to:
How do I prepare to disable TLS 1.0 when using Financial Edge on premise?
How do I prepare to disable TLS 1.0 when using The Raiser's Edge on premise?
If Blackbaud hosts your database, then please do the following:
Contact Support and reference this article.