Note on Microsoft Word: Microsoft Word requires the entire document to have the same margin size, header, breaks, and footers throughout, so we take the margin size, header, and footer for the first conditional document and apply it to the entire master document. As a result, all documents within a conditional merge template will have the same margin size, page breaks and header/footer content as the first conditional document.
- If different page setups are needed for every letter, create constituent or gift queries based on the condition and use a simple mail merge for each query rather than using the conditional mail merge. The margins save when creating a simple mail merge through the Mail Merge Wizard.
- If different page setups are not needed, make changes to the page setup in the first document. This includes margin size, page breaks, header and footer content, as needed.
Note on Merge Condition: New values cannot be added on-the-fly within the Merge Wizard (step 13 below). Make sure that values are already in The Raiser's Edge before proceeding with conditional merge set-up, such as adding a new letter code or adding a table (drop-down) entry.
- Open a Mail Merge template such as Donor Acknowledgment Letters in Mail
- Click Send to Word merge wizard in the action bar of the Mail function.
- If prompted, name and save the Mail parameter.
- Click OK.
- The following screen appears:
- Click Next to export the data file.
- On the What type of Mail Merge do you want to run screen, select to perform a conditional mail merge, and click Next.
- The Choose your conditional field screen appears:
- Select the field to use (for example, Letter), and click Next.
Note: The available fields are pulled from the Fields to Include tab
- The Create merge documents screen appears, which is used to add a different merge document for each condition.
- Click New Document to add the first conditional document.
- The Conditional Merge Document screen appears:
- Select the condition (for example, equal to), select the value from the drop-down, and enter a description for the letter.
- Click Edit merge document to open the letter in Word.
- Word opens to a blank merge document. Notice the options in the action bar: Insert Raiser's Edge Field, Insert Word Field, and Save and Return to RE7:
Note: The available options are pulled from the Add-in tab for Microsoft Office 2007 and Office 2010.
- When the merge fields are inserted and the text of the letter is complete, click Save and Return to RE7.
- To make further changes to the merge document in Word, click Edit merge document.
- Click OK to return to the Create merge documents screen.
- Repeat steps 10-17 until all of the conditional merge documents are added.
Note: Set up the same margins, headers, and footers for each document in the conditional merge.
- Click Finish to begin the merge process.
- If prompted, enter the name and location of the conditional merge documents, and click OK.
- Word opens, and the finished merge letters print to screen.
- Print the letters from Word.